Therapy of advanced forms of nail fungus takes more than a year. However, at the initial stage, the disease can be dealt with faster. To do this, created varnishes from the fungus of the nails on the hands and feet.
Treatment of fungus-affected nails with varnish: indications and approach
Antifungal varnish is a tool that has recently gained relevance in the fight against nail fungus in the initial stages of infection, that is, in cases where the plate is less than 50% damaged.
The tool is convenient and practical: unlike ointments, it does not wipe off and is not washed off after drying.
However, antifungal nail polish is indicated only in 2 cases:
- At the initial stage of the disease, when up to 30% of the plate is affected and no more than 3 nails on one leg, arm. With more extensive and deep foci, antimycotic tablets cannot be dispensed with.
- For the prevention of onychomycosis. The coating reliably protects the nails from re-infection.
The drug can be prescribed for self-therapy or as part of a complex treatment.
How does antifungal varnish work?
The varnish for the treatment of nail fungus on the legs and hands has a liquid structure, is quickly absorbed and penetrates even into microcracks. The active substance begins to destroy the cell membrane, enzymes and spores of the pathogen. After hardening, the coating clogs the plate, prevents oxygen from leaking out. Left without the basis of vital activity, fungi cease to multiply and gradually die.
Mycologists also prescribe a remedy for the prevention of fungus, especially for people with excessive sweating and after acrylic extensions. The resulting protective film prevents moisture, fungi, infections from entering the nail. In addition, alcohol, oils and plant extracts in the composition are disinfected and dried.
Varnishes from nail fungus are effective only for the prevention and treatment of onychomycosis at the initial stage. The drug forms a protective coating, quickly eliminates the infection and prevents the appearance of a new one. Complete recovery occurs after 3 months of therapy, the first results are noticeable after 7-10 days.
A couple of weeks after the end of treatment, it is necessary to take tests. A laboratory test will show whether the infection is completely eliminated and whether a second course is needed.
Before buying a product, consult a mycologist or dermatologist. The specialist will assess the degree and depth of the lesion, determine the stage and prescribe a suitable varnish for toenail or handnail fungus.
How to apply varnish in the treatment of nail fungus?
The frequency of use of a particular tool is indicated in the instructions. As a rule, in the first month the nails are varnished once every 2 days, in the second - twice a week, in the third - once a week. Therapy is carried out until the growth of a healthy plate.
Lacquer against nail fungus on the legs and hands is applied according to the following scheme:
- Preliminary processing. Before treatment, the feet or hands are steamed in a soda-salt bath, washed thoroughly with soap and water. Then wipe the surfaces dry and perform a hygienic pedicure or manicure. The nails are trimmed, the top layer is polished with a nail file and wiped with alcohol.
- Application of funds. Nail polish from the fungus is applied with a brush or spatula on dry plates. Actions are performed slowly and carefully so as not to hurt the skin around. In this case, the composition should cover the entire area of \u200b\u200bthe nail.
- Post-processing. The applied drug should not be removed until the next procedure. However, after 10 minutes, after complete drying, decorative varnish can be applied to the healing varnish. Whether the manufacturer allows this possibility is indicated in the instructions.
Therapeutic nail polish from the fungus is not absorbed into the bloodstream and cannot provoke intoxication. However, the remedy is contraindicated in:
- individual intolerance to the components;
- propensity to allergic reactions;
- increased skin sensitivity;
- children under 16 years of age;
- pregnancy and lactation.
Varnishes are prescribed with caution in diabetes mellitus, diseases of the immune system.
Varnish for the treatment of toenail fungus and hands rarely causes adverse reactions. In case of accidental contact with the skin, it may manifest itself:
If an allergic reaction occurs, it is worth choosing an analogue with another active substance.
Attention! Nail fungus varnish reduces the effectiveness of combined contraceptives.
After complete recovery, the patient often becomes infected with the fungus again. To avoid recurrence, it is necessary to cover the nails with varnish within a month after the completion of treatment.
Due attention should be paid to hygiene: wash feet and hands daily, change socks, dry shoes. Towels and slippers must be individual.
Remember: even the best nail fungus polish requires regular application. Without re-treatment, the coating will gradually wash off. As a result, there will be favorable soil for the development of fungi.
In conclusion, it should be said that in the event of symptoms of nail damage by a fungal infection, and especially if this is accompanied by favorable factors, you need to seek qualified medical help.
Setting up experiments by self-selection of means of therapy will not only not help in any way, but will also aggravate the existing situation. Getting a gift in the form of a fungus on the nails is very simple, but it is quite difficult to cure it. Therapy takes a long time and is often complex, so you should not start the course of the disease by self-medication.